Jump Ball

This blog will focus on college basketball while venturing into the other sports as their season's take shape. Since it's starting in February the first few posts may be outdated but will be a sampling of the hoops ideas from this season.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dave Stockton Is A PTP'er BABY

I gotta give this guy some credit, because he definitely deserves it (especially after I said multiple times that he isn't any good). With 6:42 left and the Zags up 2 last night, Stockton rolled off a screen and drained a 3 pointer from straight away. On the next two Zags possessions they fouled out SMU big men Mitchell Young and Rob Jones. Rob Jones, boo to you for committing a foul 25 feet from the hoop and then getting a T, to give yourself 3 first half fouls. After Stockton's 3, the lead only got as low as 3 one time and the Zags rolled to the W. Sacre is a big boy. Now I am not sure if I am overly impressed with SMU's ball denial or unimpressed with how the Zags fed the post. Either way they didn't do a great job passing the ball inside and I'm leaning more towards poor passing than good defense. I do like the team though, and they continue to get better with Gray and Carter playing even better down the stretch (Marquise Carter WCC Newcomer of the Year). I see 2 wins in the NCAA and with the right matchup and big performances from Harris and Sacre they have a chance at a 3rd win. However, covering Mickey McConnell is not covering Nolan Smith, Jimmer Fredette, or even Jacob Pullen (who is sure to 1.get a middle of the road seed, and 2.not go quietly into the night). Final point about the game, SMU is bringing back basically everybody but McConnell (Yes I know WCC POY) but I loved their Australian Sophomore 2/3 guard Matthew Dellavedova. He'll get 15 ppg next year and challenge for 1st Team WCC the next two seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment