Jump Ball

This blog will focus on college basketball while venturing into the other sports as their season's take shape. Since it's starting in February the first few posts may be outdated but will be a sampling of the hoops ideas from this season.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

West

1. Duke-Nolan Smith is a top 5 candidate for National POY. If Irving comes back playing at the level he left at they are the favorite to make it out of the West.
2. San Diego State-Yes Kawhi can play, but I am not buying them as a very good team. Watched the first BYU/SDSU matchup and came away thinking, very entertaining lets wait until these "top 10" teams face a physical "top 20" team. Prediction, Roscoe Smith shuts down Kawhi, if Kawhi gets that far.
3. Uconn-Everybody loves another National POY candidate in Kemba but the play of big man Alex Oriakhi and frosh Jeremy Lamb were integral to their Big East Tournament Championship. No reason they can't win it all if they play like they did last week. If they play like they did 3 weeks ago this dance could end abruptly.

4. Texas-Definitely had a lull in late February, and Rick Barnes has never made the Final Four. Love Tristan Thompson's upside and Hamilton has great numbers but I have yet to see his great games. Not a 'Zona fan though so here's to hoping the Horns hook the Dukies.
5. Arizona-I think Williams has the unfortunate ability to disappear/shrink when Arizona truly needs him. Not the deepest team offensively so if DW throws up a 12 point game he won't get another one to redeem himself.
6. Cincinnati-Played average to above average in the Big East. I see them as a big time threat to be upset, and if they do win their first round game Uconn will take care of business on Saturday.
7. Temple-I'm not terribly in love with the A10 but they have won 12 of their last 14. Good PA matchup, but I don't see Temple prevailing.
8. Michigan-I love how tall and lanky Tim Hardaway Jr. is, but he's only going to improve in coming years not the coming hours.
9. Tennessee-I don't like anything about their players, their coach, their university, their sports programs, their female sports programs, or their team colors. I don't think they shoot well enough to truly take advantage of their size. They should win 1 and have a fun game against Duke, a definite must watch on Sunday.
10. Penn State-Played their way into the tourney by winning 3 games in the Big 10 Tourney. Led by Talor Battle's 20.1 ppg I see a 1 and done but if they win the PA battle, no chance against Steve Fisher, Kawhi, and Co.
11. Missouri-I really like, really really like, junior 6'8" Laurence Bowers. Five players average double digits ppg. Denmon and Kemba matched up in a fast-paced battle during the Elite Eight in 2009. Kemba got the W and after a win against the Bearcats tomorrow, I see Kemba getting another W over Marcus Denmon on Saturday.
12. Memphis-Won their way into the tournament but finished 4th in the C-USA regular season. Leading scorer is Will Barton at 12.3 ppg. 1 and done.
13. Oakland-No one I know will tell you the Summit League is any good. They will tell you 6'11" senior Keith Benson can play 18 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 3.6 bpg. Very popular upset pick but I'm gonna give Rick Barnes some credit, Benson isn't the first 6'11" guy Texas has played this year.
14. Bucknell-Led by a 6'11" player of their own, Mike Muscala is a sophomore who can shoot from 15 feet and goes for 14.9 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2 bpg. That said, the Bison will be looking for a return ticket to PA by 9:30 tomorrow, but I'm sure we will see Muscala again.
15. Northern Colorado-Devon Beitzel gets 21.4 ppg. The Big Sky isn't any good and Northern Colorado is no contest for SDSU.
16. Hampton-They want to see what Kyrie Irving is able to do in his comeback just as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment