I thought this as I was driving to class. I can totally see Jim retiring this week. And if he does, I'm happy for him. Taliek and Ben Gordon gave him headaches when they won. Khalid and Ricky Moore gave him headaches when they won. This team has not given him headaches off the court and he has embraced the learning process of the freshman. He hugs and praises Kemba after every game. Calhoun literally looks like a proud parent. Nate Miles is acting stupid again, leading to at least some sort of headache/question for Calhoun along with his suspension next year. I think he has too much class and cares about the kids too much to take away from their moment by walking to the microphone and saying "I'm done" tonight. But, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to take 3 rings and walk onto a golf course for the rest of his life. Going out on top of everything with literally no regrets. As I obviously do like the guys we have coming back, they certainly aren't a championship team next year and with Shabazz running the point and the "grace period" of being a freshman/having Kemba to save him, being gone next year I see Calhoun having the inevitable headaches of dealing with a PG that isn't where he wants him to be. This is somewhat hard for me to say, but I hope we win tonight, Calhoun gets an assurance from the university that they will hire Ollie (hopefully with Blaney and the staff staying around to help at least for 2 or 3 years), and he has a press conference announcing his retirement next wednesday so that he can go to the Carolina's to golf for the weekend. I hope he does ride off into the sunset with 3 rings and a snide goodbye to the NCAA. I don't think it's impossible.
Other options for coach's are Gary Williams, he's 66. Jordan Williams declared for the draft and MD isn't that good right now. He could come here for the last 5 years of his career, the infrastructure is in place and maybe he could grab a 2nd ring. Also that would allow Ollie to get a few more years before taking the helm circa 2016.
Ben Howland. He seems happy in UCLA and has a contract until 2015 but Lee and Honeycutt have also declared for the draft. It seems like a long shot but I wouldn't mind it, even with his Pittsburgh roots. This would probably lead to Ollie never being the head coach at Uconn.
I would prefer a big name or a man connected to the program. I do not want the "next hot thing." I don't want to risk a small time coach coming to Storrs and not realizing what he got into with big time basketball.
No comments:
Post a Comment