Jump Ball

This blog will focus on college basketball while venturing into the other sports as their season's take shape. Since it's starting in February the first few posts may be outdated but will be a sampling of the hoops ideas from this season.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Uconn is So frustrating To watch

They are. I have seen over 90 percent of their games this year. I watched the St. Johns massacre on replay because I was at Ray Allen's 3 point record breaking game...Regardless, my fandom is not the point. They legitimately have the talent to win a national championship. I would not change a single piece of their puzzle. Kemba, Shabazz, Lamb, JCM, Roscoe, and Oriakhi have all played multiple excellent games against top 40 teams. I do not see their failures as a lack of ability or talent. They fail due to a lack of execution. A failure to execute against zone defenses has been a major mitigating factor along with a continued reliance on Kemba in the clutch, allowing him to dribble the shot clock down and then force a shot. As far as the zone goes, kemba can split the D and shoot the 3, so can Shabazz. Lamb, Shabazz, and JCM can all hit 3's from the wing. Lamb, JCM, and Roscoe can hit 3's from the baseline along with slash, and hit the boards. Side note Lamb's tip in late in the 2nd half was one of the most athletic plays i've seen all season. His hang time was that of a Chinook and his arms looked like he took them from the "go-go Gadget comic book". Oriakhi can hit the boards, pass adequately from the post and hit just enough short J's to make him useful against the zone. I don't know the solution other than mercilessly forcing them (in practice) to run a proper zone offense. They just don't run the offense and the thing is if they put stuff together for a few weeks, grab the right matchups, etc. they can easily put another Final Four banner up in Storrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment