Jump Ball

This blog will focus on college basketball while venturing into the other sports as their season's take shape. Since it's starting in February the first few posts may be outdated but will be a sampling of the hoops ideas from this season.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Kevin Durant Backcourt

So I just went on a blog searching the for answer to the play and I will credit this blog http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/kevin-durants-backcourt-violation-idiotically-overturned-by-refs-rules-show/65476 with great pictorial evidence. So yes it appears that he caught the ball in the frontcourt as his foot slid onto the midcourt line, thus creating a backcourt violation. I am actually willing to let this go since the freeze-frame video would probably be ruled "inconclusive evidence" if we were using the NFL replay model. I would say you can't definitively rule that Durant had complete possession of the ball before his foot moved from the frontcourt to the mid court line.
Moving forwards. Durant caught the ball with his left foot on the midcourt line and his right foot in the frontcourt. He dribbled in the frontcourt, but in my opinion his feet pivoted and as his right foot stayed in the frontcourt his left foot again hit the midcourt line. He NEVER HAD TWO FEET ESTABLISHED IN THE FRONTCOURT. I was rooting for Denver. I think it was the right call to not call it backcourt, with the caveat, that I am dismissing the freeze-frame of his left foot sliding from the frontcourt to the midcourt line, because as I said I don't feel he conclusively had possession of the ball with that foot in the front court. I'm gonna say I think it was a good job by the refs.

No comments:

Post a Comment